Bacterial vaginosis is a type of vaginal inflammation caused by the overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina that disrupts the natural balance.Bacterial vaginosis Treatment Hyderabad
- Women of childbearing potential are most likely to develop bacterial vaginosis, but it can affect women of all ages. The cause isn’t fully understood, but certain activities like unprotected sex or frequent showering increase your risk.
The signs and symptoms of bacterial vaginosis can include:
- Thin, gray, white, or green vaginal discharge
- Bad smelling “fishy” vaginal odor
- Vaginal itching
- Burning sensation when urinating
Bacterial vaginosis results from the overgrowth of one of the many bacteria that are naturally present in your vagina. Usually the “good” bacteria (lactobacilli) are more numerous than the “bad” bacteria (anaerobes). However, when there are too many anaerobic bacteria, it upsets the natural balance of microorganisms in your vagina and causes bacterial vaginosis.Bacterial vaginosis Treatment Hyderabad
Risk factors for bacterial vaginosis include:
- Having more than one sex partner or a new sex partner. Doctors don’t fully understand the link between sexual activity and bacterial vaginosis, but the disease is more common in women who have multiple sexual partners or a new sexual partner. Bacterial vaginosis is also more common in women who have sex with women.
- Douching. Rinsing your vagina with water or a detergent (showering) disturbs the natural balance of your vagina. This can lead to anaerobic bacteria overgrowth and cause bacterial vaginosis. Since the vagina is self-cleaning, no showering is required.
- Natural lack of lactobacilli bacteria. If your natural vaginal environment does not produce enough good lactobacilli bacteria, you are more likely to develop bacterial vaginosis.
To prevent bacterial vaginosis:
- Minimize vaginal irritation. Use mild, non-deodorant soaps and non-perfumed tampons or pads.
- Don’t shower. Your vagina only needs to be cleaned in a normal bath. Frequent showering upsets your vaginal balance and can increase the risk of a vaginal infection. Showering does not resolve a vaginal infection.
- Avoid getting sexually transmitted infections. Use a male latex condom, limit your number of sexual partners, or abstain from sex to minimize the risk of sexually transmitted infections.Bacterial vaginosis Treatment Hyderabad