What is Bariatric Surgery?
Exercise and diet alone often fails to effectively treat people with extreme and excessive obesity. Bariatric surgery is an operation that is performed in order to help such individuals lose weight. Evidence suggests that bariatric surgery may lower death rates for patients with severe obesity, especially when coupled with healthy eating and lifestyle changes after surgery.
There are four types of operations that are offered:
- Adjustable gastric banding (AGB)
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)
- Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch (BPD-DS)
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG)
Dr. Nara Bharat Kumar
MBBS, MS – General Surgery, MCh – Surgical Gastroenterology/G.I. Surgery
11 Years of Experience
Bariatric Surgery: Risks and Benefits
As a treatment option for morbidly obese patients, bariatric surgery’s popularity is growing.
For people whose weight continues to increase at a rapid rate despite eating strict low-calorie diet and taking up rigorous exercise regime, bariatric surgery can literally be lifesaving.
However, it is not for everyone. While bariatric surgery is widely viewed as the safest and most effective means of achieving long-term weight loss, it does come with its own pros and cons.
So, you should clearly understand the benefits and risks associated with the surgery before deciding to undergo any sort of weight loss procedure.
Current bariatric surgical procedures include stomach banding, stomach stapling, gastric balloons and surgical bypass of the stomach. The common goal of these procedures is limiting food intake to promote weight loss.
The procedure reduces the amount of food you can eat by shrinking your stomach. After the surgery, the stomach takes the shape of a small pouch where food enters from the oesophagus. Because the pouch is so small, it makes it impossible for you to eat larger meals, and you feel full longer.
Before deciding to undergo any kind of weight loss procedure, it’s vital to weigh the risks and benefits carefully with the aid of a licensed bariatric surgeon. bariatric surgery cost in hyderabad
Benefits – Bariatric Surgery in Hyderabad
• As a result of bariatric surgery, most patients lose weight rapidly and continue to lose it until 18 to 24 months after the surgery.
• Patients experience significant improvements in health and quality of life.
• Very few bariatric patients suffer from complications as a result of the surgery.
• Patients suffering from weight-related medical conditions often see improvements within a three-year span.
• The revolutionary laparoscopic approach results in a shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, smaller scars, and less pain.
• Improvement in Obesity-related Disorders
• Bariatric surgery may treat type 2 Diabetes in overweight and obese patients with high blood sugar levels.
• It can improve cardiovascular conditions such as hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes, as well as breathing disorders such as asthma and obstructive sleep apnoea.
• Patients with hypertension, in particular, can see vast improvements within 2-3 months following the surgery.
• Stress incontinence can also be resolved through bariatric surgery.
• Weight-related aches and pains usually go away after weight loss surgery.
Although bariatric surgery has the potential to change your life dramatically, possible serious complications are always there.
So, risks of bariatric surgery are as important to consider as benefits.
Bariatric Treatment in Hyderabad
Gastric sleeve surgery cost in hyderabad
Clinics and Hospitals offering ‘Bariatric Treatment’ :
Bariatric Treatment by Continental Hospitals
Address: Plot No. 3, Road No. 2, IT & Financial Dist., Nanakramguda
Need Doctor Consultation?
Cost. 350000.00 (Approx)
Bariatric Treatment by Apollo Cosmetic Clinics (Banjara Hills)
Address: Apollo Health Street, Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration, Road Number 10, Film Nagar
Bariatric Treatment by Divine Proportions (Jubilee Hills)
Address: Plot 1098, 4th Floor, Road 36
Bariatric Treatment by Obesity Hyderabad
Address: Asian Bariatrics, Road no 1, Jubilee Hills Check Post
Bariatric Treatment by JMJ Cosmetic Treatment
Address: 2nd Floor, Vaishnavis Sree Square Cyber Hills Colony, Besides Gachibowli flyover, Opposite RTTC
Bariatric Treatment by Sunshine Hospitals (Secunderabad)
Address: Penderghast Road, Opposite PaCosti Dharamsala, Behind Paradise Hotel
Variant: (Dr. Venugopal Pareek) Cost. 350000.00
Risks Bariatric Treatment
• As with any surgery, bariatric surgery does carry real risks and complications like nausea, weakness, vomiting, excessive sweating, bloating, faintness and diarrhea after eating.
• Wound infections, abdominal hernias, blockage and nerve problems are other possible complications associated with the surgery.
• Abdominal infection may result in prolonged hospital stays or additional surgeries.
• Depression, vitamin deficiencies or malnutrition from poor absorption and hair loss are possible long-term complications. bariatric surgery cost in india hyderabad
• Poor absorption of nutrients may cause nutritional deficiencies such as osteoporosis, low haemoglobin levels (anemia), loss of muscle tone, and metabolic bone disease.
• Blood clot to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and bleeding stomach ulcers are serious complications that may occur after bariatric surgery.
• Death, heart attack or lung failure may occur in rare cases during or after surgery.