Carcinoid tumors are a slowly growing type of cancer that can appear in many places in your body. Carcinoid tumors, a subset of tumors called neuroendocrine tumors, usually start in the digestive tract (stomach, appendix, small intestine, colon, rectum) or in the lungs.
- Carcinoid tumors often don’t cause signs and symptoms until the disease is over. Carcinoid tumors can produce and release hormones in your body that cause signs and symptoms such as diarrhea or hot flashes.
- Treatment for carcinoid tumors usually includes surgery and may include medication.Carcinoid tumors Treatment Khammam
In some cases, carcinoid tumors do not cause any signs or symptoms. When they do occur, the signs and symptoms are usually vague and depend on the location of the tumor.Carcinoid tumors Treatment Khammam
- Carcinoid tumors in the lungs
The signs and symptoms of carcinoid lung tumors include:
- Chest pain
shortness of breath
Redness or heat of the face and neck (reddening of the skin)
Weight gain, especially around the midsection and upper back
It is not known what causes carcinoid tumors. Cancer usually occurs when a cell develops mutations in its DNA. Mutations allow the cell to continue to grow and divide while healthy cells would normally die.
- The cells that accumulate form a tumor. Cancer cells can invade nearby healthy tissue and spread to other parts of the body.
- Doctors don’t know what causes the mutations that can lead to carcinoid tumors. But they do know that carcinoid tumors grow in neuroendocrine cells.Carcinoid tumors Treatment Khammam
Factors that increase your risk of developing carcinoid tumors include:
- An older age. The elderly are more likely to be diagnosed with a carcinoid tumor than younger people or children.
- Sex. Women are more likely than men to develop carcinoid tumors.
- Family history. A family history of multiple endocrine neoplasia, type I (MEN I), increases the risk of carcinoid tumors. In people with MEN I, multiple tumors appear in the glands of the endocrine system.Carcinoid tumors Treatment Khammam