Charcot (Shahr-KOH) Marie-Tooth disease is a group of inherited diseases that cause nerve damage. This damage mainly occurs in the arms and legs (peripheral nerves). Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is also known as hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy.
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease results in smaller and weaker muscles. Loss of sensation, muscle twitching, and difficulty walking can also occur. Deformities of the foot such as hammers and high arches are also common. Symptoms usually start in the feet and legs, but can eventually affect your hands and arms.
- Symptoms of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease usually appear in adolescence or early adulthood, but can also develop in your forties.Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease Treatment Khammam
The signs and symptoms of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease can include:Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease Treatment Khammam
- Weakness in legs, ankles and feet
- Loss of muscle mass in the legs and feet
- High arches
- Curved Toes (Hammers)
- Decreased ability to run
- Difficulty lifting the foot by the ankle (foot drops)
- Not clumsy or above average (gait)
- Frequent trips or falls
- Decreased feeling or loss of sensation in the legs and feet
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is an inherited genetic disorder. It happens when there are mutations in the genes that affect the nerves in your feet, legs, hands, and arms.
- Sometimes these mutations damage the nerves. Other mutations damage the protective layer that surrounds the nerve (myelin sheath). Both send weaker messages between your limbs and your brain.Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease Treatment Khammam
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is inherited, so you are at a higher risk of developing the disease if someone in your immediate family has the disease.
- Other causes of neuropathy such as diabetes can cause symptoms similar to Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. These other conditions can also make Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease symptoms worse. Medicines such as vincristine (Marqibo), paclitaxel (Abraxane), and others can make symptoms worse. Be sure to tell your doctor about any medications you are taking.Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease Treatment Khammam