Unilateral and bilateral cleft lip
Split lipOpen popup dialog
Open Cleft Palate Pop-up Dialog
Cleft lip and cleft palate are openings or slits in the upper lip, in the roof of the mouth (roof of the mouth), or in both. Cleft lips and palates occur when the facial structures that develop in an unborn child do not close completely.
- Cleft lips and palates are among the most common birth defects. They usually appear as isolated birth defects, but are also associated with many hereditary genetic diseases or syndromes.
- Having a baby with a cleft can be overwhelming, but cleft lip and palate can be corrected. For most babies, a series of surgeries can restore normal function and appearance with minimal scarring.Cleft lip and cleft palate Treatment Hyderabad
Usually, a crack in the lip or roof of the mouth is immediately noticeable at birth. Cleft lip and palate can look like this:
- A gap in the lip and roof of the mouth (roof of the mouth) that affects one or both sides of the face
- A slit in the lip that appears as a small notch in the lip or extends from the lip through the upper gum tissue and roof of the mouth to the floor of the nose
- A slit in the roof of the mouth that doesn’t spoil the appearance of the face
- More rarely, a cleft occurs only in the muscles of the soft palate (submucosal cleft palate), which are located in the back of the mouth and covered by the lining of the mouth. This type of gap often goes unnoticed at birth and cannot be diagnosed until later when signs develop. Signs and symptoms of a submucosal cleft palate can include:Cleft lip and cleft palate Treatment Hyderabad
- Difficulty in feeding
- Difficulty swallowing, with the possibility of liquids or food spilling out of your nose
- Nasal voice
- Chronic ear infections
Cleft lips and palates occur when the tissues of the baby’s face and mouth don’t fuse properly. Usually the tissues of the lip and roof of the mouth fuse in the second and third months of pregnancy. However, in babies with cleft lips and palates, fusion never or only partially occurs, leaving an opening (cleft).
- The researchers believe that most cases of cleft lips and palates are caused by an interplay of genetic and environmental factors. In many babies, a certain cause is not discovered.
- The mother or father may pass genes responsible for the cleft either alone or as part of a genetic syndrome that may include cleft lip or palate among its signs. In some cases, babies inherit a gene that makes them more likely to develop a crevice, and then an environmental trigger actually causes the crevice.Cleft lip and cleft palate Treatment Hyderabad
Several factors can make a baby more likely to develop a cleft lip and palate, including:
- Family history. Parents with a family history of cleft lip or palate are at higher risk of having a baby with a cleft palate.
- Exposure to certain substances during pregnancy. Pregnant women who smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or take certain medications may be more likely to have cleft lips and palates.
- Have diabetes. There is some evidence that women with diabetes before pregnancy are at increased risk of having a baby with a cleft lip, with or without a cleft palate.
- Being Obese During Pregnancy. There is some evidence that babies born to overweight women have an increased risk of cleft lips and palates.Cleft lip and cleft palate Treatment Hyderabad
After having a baby with a cleft, parents are understandably concerned about the possibility of having another child with the same disease. Although many cases of cleft lip and palate cannot be avoided, the following steps should be considered to improve your understanding or reduce your risk:
- Consider genetic counseling. If you have a family history of cleft lip and palate, talk to your doctor before becoming pregnant. Your doctor can refer you to a genetic counselor who can help determine your risk for children with cleft lips and palates.
- Take prenatal vitamins. If you are planning on getting pregnant soon, ask your doctor if you need to take prenatal vitamins.
- Do not use tobacco or alcohol. Consuming alcohol or tobacco during pregnancy increases the risk of having a malfunctioning baby.Cleft lip and cleft palate Treatment Hyderabad