Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate Surgery
What is a cleft lip surgery Keonjhar?The lip forms between the fourth and seventh week of pregnancy. As a baby develops during pregnancy, body tissues and specialized cells on each side of the head grow towards the center of the face and join together to form the face. This union of tissues forms facial features such as the lips and mouth. A cleft lip occurs when the tissues that make up the lip don’t fully fuse before birth. This creates an opening in the upper lip. The opening in the lip can be a small slit or a large opening that goes through the lip into the nose. A cleft lip can be on one or both sides of the lip or in the middle of the lip, which is very rare. Children with a cleft lip may also have a cleft palate. Cleft Lip surgery in Keonjhar and Cleft Palate surgery in Keonjhar
What is cleft palate surgery Keonjhar?
The palate forms between the sixth and ninth week of pregnancy. A cleft palate occurs when the tissues that make up the roof of your mouth do not fuse together completely during pregnancy. In some babies, the front and back of the palate are open. For other babies, only part of the palate is open. Cleft Lip surgery in Keonjhar and Cleft Palate surgery in Keonjhar
Other problemsChildren with a cleft lip, with or without a cleft palate, or just a cleft palate, often have trouble eating and speaking, and may have ear infections. They could also have hearing problems and problems with their teeth.
How many babies are born with a cleft lip and palate?
- In the United States, approximately 1 in 1,600 babies are born with a cleft lip and palate.
- In the United States, approximately 1 in 2,800 babies are born with a cleft lip without a cleft palate.
- About 1 in 1,700 babies in the United States are born with a cleft palate.1
Causes and risk factors
The causes of orofacial clefts in most infants are unknown. Some children have cleft lip or cleft palate due to changes in their genes. Cleft lip and palate are thought to be caused by a combination of genes and other factors, such as: B. Things the mother comes into contact with in her environment, or what the mother eats or drinks, or certain medications she takes during pregnancy. Cleft Lip surgery in Keonjhar and Cleft Palate surgery in Keonjhar
- Smoking―Women who smoke during pregnancy are more likely to have a baby with an orofacial cleft than women who do not smoke.2-3
- Diabetes―Women with diabetes diagnosed before pregnancy have an increased risk of having a child with a cleft lip with or without cleft palate, compared to women who did not have diabetes.5
- Use of certain medicines―Women who used certain medicines to treat epilepsy, such as topiramate or valproic acid, during the first trimester (the first 3 months) of pregnancy have an increased risk of having a baby with cleft lip with or without cleft palate, compared to women who didn’t take these medicines.
DiagnosisOrofacial clefts, particularly cleft lip with or without cleft palate, can be diagnosed during pregnancy by routine ultrasound. They can also be diagnosed after the baby is born, especially cleft palate. However, sometimes certain types of cleft palate (eg, submucosal cleft palate and uvula bifid) are not diagnosed until later in life. Cleft Lip surgery in Keonjhar and Cleft Palate surgery in Keonjhar
A baby with a cleft may have:
- just a cleft palate
- just a cleft lip
- both a cleft lip and a cleft palate
- A cleft palate (PAL-it) occurs when a baby is born with an opening (cleft) in the roof of the mouth. This creates a hole between the nose and the mouth.
- Being just behind the palate (the soft palate)
- extend to the front of the palate behind the gums (the hard palate)
Babies born with a cleft lip have a gap or opening in their upper lip. This happens when the baby’s lip doesn’t form properly early in pregnancy, causing it to split.
A cleft lip can be: Cleft Lip surgery in Keonjhar and Cleft Palate surgery in Keonjhar
- on one side of the lip (unilateral cleft lip). This type is more common.
- on both sides of the lip (bilateral cleft lip)
Columns can vary in size:
Some are just a small cut in the lip (an incomplete cleft lip).
Others extend from the lip, through the upper gums and into the nostril (a full cleft lip).
When the opening in the roof of the mouth connects with the opening in the gums and lip, a baby has a cleft lip and palate.
Cleft Lip Palate Surgery in Keonjhar