- Diabetic ketoacidosis is a serious complication of diabetes that occurs when your body produces high amounts of blood acids called ketones.
- The condition develops when your body cannot produce enough insulin. Insulin usually plays a key role in helping sugar (glucose) – an important source of energy for your muscles and other tissues – enter your cells. Without enough insulin, your body begins to break down fat for fuel. This process creates a buildup in the bloodstream of acids called ketones which, if left untreated, will eventually lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.
- If you have diabetes or are at risk of diabetes, learn about the warning signs of diabetic ketoacidosis and when to get emergency care. Diabetic ketoacidosis treatment in Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis often develop quickly, sometimes within 24 hours. For some, these signs and symptoms can be the first signs of diabetes. You can notice:
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Nausea and vomiting
- stomach pain
- Weakness or tiredness
- shortness of breath
Sugar is the main source of energy for the cells that make up your muscles and other tissues. Usually, insulin helps sugar get into your cells. Diabetic ketoacidosis treatment in Hyderabad
Without enough insulin, your body cannot properly use sugar for energy.
The risk of diabetic ketoacidosis is greatest if you:
- Have type 1 diabetes
- Often insulin doses are missing
- In rare cases, type 2 diabetes can develop diabetic ketoacidosis. In some cases, diabetic ketoacidosis can be the first sign of diabetes.
Diabetic ketoacidosis is treated with fluids, electrolytes such as sodium, potassium and chloride, and insulin. Perhaps surprisingly, the most common complications of diabetic ketoacidosis are associated with this life-saving treatment
There is a lot you can do to help prevent diabetic ketoacidosis and other complications of diabetes.
- Make a Commitment to Managing Your Diabetes. Make healthy eating and physical activity part of your daily routine. Take oral diabetes medication or insulin as directed.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels. You may need to check and record your blood sugar at least three to four times a day or more when you are sick or under stress. Careful monitoring is the only way to make sure your blood sugar stays within your target range. Diabetic ketoacidosis treatment in Hyderabad