- Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) is a hardening of the bone ligaments in the areas where they attach to your spine.
- This condition, also known as Forestier’s disease, may not cause symptoms or require treatment. If this is causing symptoms, then mild to moderate upper back pain and stiffness are most common. DISH can also affect your neck and lower back, and some people have DISH in other areas, such as: B. Shoulders, elbows, knees and heels.
- DISH can be progressive. If it gets worse, it can lead to serious complications. Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) treatment in hyderabad
- You may not have any signs or symptoms with DISH. The upper back is most commonly affected in those with signs and symptoms. Signs and symptoms can include:
- Stiffness. The stiffness may be more noticeable in the morning.
Pain. You may have pain in your back or other affected areas such as your shoulder, elbow, knee, or heel.
Loss of freedom of movement. You may notice this most when you stretch from side to side.
Difficulty swallowing or a hoarse voice. You could get it if you have an APARTMENT on your neck.
DISH is caused by the build-up of calcium salts in ligaments and tendons, and hardening and overgrowth of bones. But what causes it is unknown.
Doctors have an idea of what can increase your risk of the disease. Risk factors are:
- Sex. Men are more likely to develop DISH.
- An older age. DISH is most common in the elderly, especially those over 50.
- Diabetes and other diseases. People with type 2 diabetes may be more likely to develop DISH than people without diabetes. Other conditions that can increase the levels of insulin in your body can also increase your risk, including hyperinsulinemia, prediabetes, and obesity. Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) treatment in hyderabad
People with DISH are at risk for certain complications, such as:
Disability. Loss of freedom of movement in the affected joint can make this joint difficult to use. For example, FLAT in your shoulder can make your arm difficult to use.
Difficulties swallowing. Bone spurs in the neck can put pressure on your esophagus. Pressure from bone spurs can also cause hoarse voice or sleep apnea, a sleep disorder in which you repeatedly stop breathing while you sleep. In rare cases, it can get serious and require surgery to remove the bone spurs.
Vertebral fracture. FLAT can increase the risk of fractures in the spine, especially if you have moderate to severe illness. Even minor injuries can lead to fractures. Surgery may be required to repair fractures. Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) treatment in hyderabad