Enlarged LiverOpen popup dialog box
An enlarged liver is bigger than normal. The medical term is hepatomegaly (hep-uh-toe-MEG-uh-le).
Instead of illness, an enlarged liver is a sign of an underlying problem, such as liver disease, heart failure, or cancer. Treatment involves identifying and controlling the cause of the disease. Enlarged liver Treatment in Nizamabad
An enlarged liver may not cause symptoms.
If the enlarged liver is due to liver disease, it may be accompanied by:
- stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
The liver is a large football-shaped organ that is located in the upper right part of your abdomen. The size of the liver varies with age, gender, and height.
There are many conditions that can cause weight gain, including:
- Liver disease
- Hepatitis from a virus – including hepatitis A, B, and C – or from infectious mononucleosis
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease
You are more likely to develop an enlarged liver if you have liver disease. Factors that can increase your risk of liver problems include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption. Drinking large amounts of alcohol can damage your liver.
- Large doses of drugs, vitamins, or supplements. Taking larger than recommended doses of vitamins, supplements, or over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription drugs can increase the risk of liver damage.
- Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause of acute liver failure in the United States. In addition to being found in over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol, it’s also found in over 600 over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
- Know what is in the medication you are taking. Read the labels. Look for “Paracetamol”, “Acetam”, or “APAP”. Ask your doctor if you are not sure what is too much. Enlarged liver Treatment in Nizamabad
To reduce your risk of liver disease, you can:
- Eat a healthy diet. Choose a diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. If necessary, ask your doctor to find out what amount of alcohol is right for you.
- Follow the directions when taking any medication, vitamins, or supplements. Limit yourself to the recommended doses.
- Limit contact with chemicals. Use aerosol cleaners, insecticides, and other toxic chemicals only in well-ventilated areas. Wear gloves, long sleeves, and a mask. Enlarged liver Treatment in Nizamabad