Illustration shows where the melanoma of the eye occurs
Position of the eye melanoma Open the popup dialog
Melanoma is a type of cancer that grows in cells that make melanin – the pigment that gives your skin its color. Your eyes also have melanin-producing cells and can develop melanoma. The eye melanoma is also known as ocular melanoma.
- Most ocular melanomas form in the part of the eye that you cannot see when looking at yourself in the mirror. This makes it difficult to detect melanoma of the eye. In addition, eye melanoma does not usually cause any early signs or symptoms.
- Treatment for ocular melanoma is available. Treatment of some small eye melanomas may not affect your eyesight. However, treatment for large ocular melanoma usually results in loss of vision.Eye melanoma Treatment Nizamabad
The melanoma of the eye may not cause any signs and symptoms. When they do occur, the signs and symptoms of ocular melanoma can include:Eye melanoma Treatment Nizamabad
A feeling of lightning or dust spots in your sight (swimmer)
A growing dark spot on the iris
A change in the shape of the black circle (pupil) in the center of your eye
Poor or blurred vision in one eye
Loss of peripheral vision
It is not known what causes ocular melanoma.
- Doctors know that ocular melanoma occurs when defects in the DNA of healthy eye cells develop. DNA defects tell cells to grow and multiply out of control, so the mutated cells continue to live when they would normally die. The mutated cells accumulate in the eye and form an ocular melanoma.
Risk factors for primary melanoma of the eye include:
- Clear eye color. People with blue or green eyes are at higher risk of developing ocular melanoma.
- Be white Whites are at higher risk for eye melanoma than people of other races.
- Age. The risk of ocular melanoma increases with age.
- Certain hereditary skin conditions. A condition called dysplastic nevus syndrome that causes abnormal moles can increase the risk of developing melanoma on your skin and in your eyes.Eye melanoma Treatment Nizamabad