Thyroid gland with larynx and trachea
Thyroid Open the popup dialog
Hashimoto’s disease is a condition in which your immune system attacks your thyroid, a small gland at the base of your neck below the Adam’s apple. The thyroid is part of your endocrine system that produces hormones that coordinate many functions in your body. Hashimoto’s disease Treatment in Hyderabad
Inflammation in Hashimoto’s disease, also known as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, often leads to an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). Hashimoto’s disease is the leading cause of hypothyroidism. It mainly affects middle-aged women, but can also affect men and women of all ages, as well as children.
Doctors test your thyroid function to detect Hashimoto’s disease. Treating Hashimoto’s disease with thyroid hormone replacement is usually straightforward and effective.
You may not notice the signs or symptoms of Hashimoto’s disease at first, or you may notice a swelling on the front of your neck (goiter). Hashimoto’s disease usually progresses slowly over the years, causing chronic thyroid damage that results in low levels of thyroid hormones in your blood. The signs and symptoms are mainly those of an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).
The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are:
- Fatigue and laziness
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Pale, dry skin
- A swollen face
- Brittle nails
- Hair loss
- Tongue enlargement
Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune disease in which your immune system makes antibodies that damage your thyroid. Doctors don’t know why your immune system is attacking your thyroid. Some scientists believe that a virus or bacteria could trigger the reaction, while others believe that a genetic defect could be involved. Hashimoto’s disease Treatment in Hyderabad
A combination of factors – including heredity, gender, and age – can determine your likelihood of developing the disorder.
These factors can add to your risk of developing Hashimoto’s disease:
- Sex. Women are much more likely to get Hashimoto’s disease.
- Age. Hashimoto’s disease can appear at any age, but it is more common in middle age.
- Inheritance. You are at a higher risk of developing Hashimoto’s disease if other members of your family have thyroid or other autoimmune diseases.
- Other autoimmune diseases. Another autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, or lupus increases the risk of developing Hashimoto’s disease.
- Radiation exposure. People who are exposed to excessive environmental radiation are more susceptible to Hashimoto’s disease. Hashimoto’s disease Treatment in Hyderabad