- Pituitary gland and hypothalamus
- Pituitary and Hypothalamus Open the Endocrine System pop-up dialog
- Endocrine SystemOpen Popup Dialog
- Hypopituitarism is a rare condition in which your pituitary gland does not make one or more hormones, or does not make enough hormones.
The pituitary gland is a bean-sized gland located at the base of your brain. It’s part of your body’s endocrine system, which includes all of the glands that produce and regulate hormones. Despite its small size, the pituitary gland creates and releases a number of hormones that affect almost every part of your body.
Hypopituitarism occurs when you have a deficiency (deficiency) in one or more pituitary hormones. These hormonal deficiencies can affect a number of routine functions in your body, such as: B. Growth, blood pressure or reproduction. Symptoms usually vary depending on which hormone or hormones are missing. Hypopituitarism Treatment in Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of hypopituitarism usually develop gradually and get worse over time. They are subtle at times and can be overlooked for months or even years. However, in some people, the signs and symptoms develop suddenly.
The signs and symptoms of hypopituitarism vary from person to person, depending on which pituitary hormones are affected and to what extent. In people with more than one pituitary hormone deficiency, the second deficiency can exacerbate or, in some cases, mask the symptoms of the first deficiency.
Growth hormone (GH) deficiency
In children, GH deficiency can lead to growth problems and short stature. Most GH-deficient adults have no symptoms, but in some adults this can cause:
- Muscle weakness
- Changes in the composition of body fat
- Lack of ambition
- Social isolation
Hypopituitarism has a number of causes. In many cases, hypopituitarism is caused by a tumor in the pituitary gland. As a pituitary tumor gets larger, it can compress and damage the pituitary tissue and affect hormone production. A tumor can also compress the optic nerves and cause blurred vision. Hypopituitarism Treatment in Hyderabad
In addition to tumors, certain diseases or events that damage the pituitary gland can also trigger hypopituitarism. Examples include:
- Head injuries
- Brain surgery
- Radiological treatment of the head or neck
- Lack of blood flow to the brain or pituitary gland (stroke) or bleeding (bleeding) in the brain or pituitary gland
- Certain drugs such as narcotics, high-dose corticosteroids, or certain cancer drugs called checkpoint inhibitors