Illustration shows the effect of interstitial cystitis on the bladder
Interstitial Cystitis Open the popup dialog
Interstitial cystitis (in-tur-STISH-ul sis-TIE-tis) is a chronic condition that causes bladder pressure, bladder pain, and sometimes pelvic pain. The pain ranges from mild discomfort to severe pain. The condition is one of a number of diseases known as painful bladder syndrome.
Your bladder is a hollow muscle organ that stores urine. The bladder expands until it is full, then signals your brain that it is time to urinate and communicate through the pelvic nerves. This creates the urge to urinate for most people. Interstitial cystitis Treatment in Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis vary from person to person. Also, if you have interstitial cystitis, your symptoms can vary over time and occur regularly in response to common triggers such as menstruation, prolonged sitting, stress, exercise, and sexual activity.
Signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis include:
- Pain in the pelvis or between the vagina and anus in women
- Pain between the scrotum and anus in men (perineum)
- Chronic pelvic pain
- An urgent and ongoing need to urinate
The exact cause of interstitial cystitis is unknown, but many factors are likely to contribute. For example, people with interstitial cystitis can also have a defect in the protective lining (epithelium) of the bladder. A leak in the epithelium can cause toxic substances in the urine to irritate the lining of your bladder. Interstitial cystitis Treatment in Hyderabad
Other possible but not proven factors include an autoimmune reaction, heredity, infection, or allergy.
These factors are linked to a higher risk of interstitial cystitis:
- Your gender: women are more likely to be diagnosed with interstitial cystitis than men. Symptoms in men may mimic interstitial cystitis, but are more often associated with inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis).
- Your skin and the color of your hair. Light skin and red hair are associated with an increased risk of interstitial cystitis.
- Your age. Most people with interstitial cystitis are diagnosed in their thirties or older. Interstitial cystitis Treatment in Hyderabad
Interstitial cystitis can cause a number of complications, including:
- Reduced bladder capacity. Interstitial cystitis can cause the bladder wall to stiffen, which can make your bladder less able to hold urine.
- Decreased quality of life. Frequent urination and pain can interfere with social activities, work, and other activities of daily living.
- Problems with sexual intimacy. Frequent urination and pain can strain your personal relationships, and sexual intimacy can suffer. Interstitial cystitis Treatment in Hyderabad