Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common condition that affects the colon. The signs and symptoms include cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea or constipation, or both. IBS is a chronic condition that requires long-term management.
Few people with IBS have severe signs and symptoms. Some people can control their symptoms by managing their diet, lifestyle, and stress levels. More severe symptoms can be managed with medication and counseling. Irritable bowel syndrome Treatment in Nizamabad
The signs and symptoms of IBS vary, but usually have been around for a long time. The most common are:
- Abdominal pain, cramps, or gas related to bowel movements
- Changes in the appearance of the stool
- Changes in how often you have a bowel movement
The exact cause of IBS is unknown. Some of the factors that appear to play a role include:
- Muscle contractions in the intestines. The intestinal walls are lined with layers of muscle that contract as food moves through your digestive tract. Contractions that are stronger and last longer than normal can cause gas and diarrhea. Weak bowel contractions can slow the passage of food and lead to hard, dry stools.
- Nervous System: Anomalies in the nerves of your digestive system can make you feel uncomfortable than normal when your stomach is clearing gas or stool. Poorly coordinated signals between the brain and gut can cause your body to overreact to changes that normally occur in the digestive process, leading to pain, diarrhea, or constipation.
- Severe infection. IBS can develop after a severe attack of diarrhea (gastroenteritis) caused by bacteria or a virus. IBS could also be linked to an excess of bacteria in the gut (bacterial overgrowth).
- Stress early in life. People who are exposed to stressful events, especially in childhood, tend to have more symptoms of IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome Treatment in Nizamabad
Many people occasionally have signs and symptoms of IBS. However, you are more likely to have the syndrome if you:
- Are young. IBS is more common in people under the age of 50.
- Are women. In the United States, IBS is more common in women. Estrogen therapy before or after menopause is also a risk factor for IBS.
- Have a family history of IBS. Genes can play a role, as can common factors in the family environment or a combination of genes and the environment. Irritable bowel syndrome Treatment in Nizamabad
Chronic constipation or diarrhea can cause hemorrhoids.
In addition, IBS is associated with:
- Bad quality of life. Many people with moderate to severe IBS report a poor quality of life.
- Research shows that people with IBS miss three times as many work days as people without bowel symptoms. Irritable bowel syndrome Treatment in Nizamabad