- Kidney cyst
- Kidney CystOpen Popup Dialog
- Kidney cysts are round pockets of fluid that form on or in the kidneys. Kidney cysts can be associated with serious conditions that can affect how kidney function works. Most commonly, however, kidney cysts are of the type called simple kidney cysts – non-cancerous cysts that rarely cause complications.
It is not known what causes simple kidney cysts. Usually a single cyst appears on the surface of a kidney, but multiple cysts can affect one or both kidneys. Kidney cysts Treatment in Hyderabad
Simple kidney cysts usually don’t cause any signs or symptoms. When a simple kidney cyst becomes large enough, the following symptoms may occur:
- Dull pain in the back or side
- Pain in the upper abdomen
It is not known what causes simple kidney cysts. One theory is that kidney cysts develop when the top layer of the kidney weakens and forms a pocket (diverticulum). The pouch then fills with fluid, breaks off, and turns into a cyst.
The risk of simple kidney cysts increases with age, although they can appear at any age. Simple kidney cysts are more common in men.
Kidney cysts can sometimes cause complications, including:
- An infected cyst. A kidney cyst can become infected and cause fever and pain.
- A ruptured cyst. A bursting kidney cyst causes severe back or side pain.
- Urinary obstruction. A kidney cyst that prevents the normal flow of urine can cause the kidney to swell (hydronephrosis). Kidney cysts Treatment in Hyderabad