Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems. Children under the age of 6 are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning, which can seriously affect mental and physical development. Lead poisoning can be fatal at very high concentrations.
Lead paint and lead-contaminated dust in older buildings are the most common causes of lead poisoning in children. Other sources are contaminated air, water and soil. Adults who work with batteries, do renovations, or work in auto repair shops can also be exposed to lead.
There is a cure for lead poisoning, but a few simple precautions can protect you and your family from lead exposure before the harm is done. Lead poisoning Treatment in Nizamabad
Lead poisoning can be difficult to spot at first – even people who appear healthy can have high levels of lead in their blood. Signs and symptoms usually don’t appear until dangerous levels have built up. Lead poisoning Treatment in Nizamabad
Lead is a naturally occurring metal in the earth’s crust, but it has spread through human activities – mining, fossil fuel burning, and manufacturing. Lead was also previously used in paint and gasoline, and is still used in batteries, solder, pipes, pottery, roofing materials, and some cosmetics.
Factors that can increase your risk of lead poisoning include:
- Age. Infants and young children are more likely to be exposed to lead than older children. They can chew peeling paint on walls and woodwork, and their hands can be contaminated with lead dust. Young children also absorb lead more easily and it is more harmful to them than adults and older children.
- Live in an older house. Although the use of lead-based paint has been banned since the 1970s, older homes and buildings often retain remnants of that paint. People renovating an older home are at even greater risk.
- Some hobbies. The manufacture of stained glass and some jewelry requires the use of lead solder. When finishing old furniture, you can come into contact with lead paint.
- Life in Developing Countries. Developing countries often have less strict rules on lead exposure than developed countries. American families adopting a child from another country may want the child’s blood tested for lead poisoning. Immigrant and refugee children should also be tested. Lead poisoning Treatment in Nizamabad
Exposure to even low levels of lead can cause harm over time, especially in children. The greatest risk is the development of the brain, where irreversible damage can occur. Higher values can damage the kidneys and nervous system in children and adults. Very high levels of lead can cause seizures, loss of consciousness, and death.
There are simple steps you can take to protect you and your family from lead poisoning:
- Wash hands and toys. Wash your children’s hands after playing outdoors, before eating, and at bedtime to reduce hand-to-mouth carryover of dust or contaminated soil. Wash your toys regularly.
- Clean dusty surfaces. Clean your floors with a damp mop and wipe furniture, window sills, and other dusty surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Take off your shoes before entering the house. This helps keep lead-based floors out.
- Run cold water. If you have older plumbing that contains lead pipes or fittings, let your cold water run for at least a minute before using it. Do not use hot tap water to prepare the formula or for cooking.
- Prevent children from playing on the floor. Provide them with a covered sandpit when not in use. Plant grass or cover bare ground with mulch.
- Eat healthy. Regular meals and a good diet can help reduce lead intake. Most importantly, children need enough calcium, vitamin C, and iron in their diet to prevent lead absorption.
- Keep your home well cared for. Lead poisoning Treatment in Nizamabad