- Liver cancer
- Liver Cancer Open the pop-up dialog box
- Liver cancer is cancer that starts in the cells of your liver. Your liver is a football-sized organ located in the upper right part of your stomach, under your diaphragm, and above your stomach.
Different types of cancer can develop in the liver. The most common type of liver cancer is hepatocellular carcinoma, which starts in the main type of liver cell (hepatocytes). Other types of liver cancer, such as intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and hepatoblastoma, are much less common. Liver cancer Treatment in warangal
- The Liver popup dialog opens
- Most people have no signs or symptoms in the early stages of primary liver cancer. When signs and symptoms appear, they can include:
- Lose weight without trying
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the upper abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- General weakness and fatigue
- Abdominal swelling
Liver cancer occurs when liver cells develop changes (mutations) in their DNA. A cell’s DNA is the material that contains instructions for every chemical process in your body. DNA mutations cause changes in these instructions. One result is that cells grow out of control and eventually form a tumor – a mass of cancer cells. Liver cancer Treatment in warangal
Factors that increase your risk of primary liver cancer include:
- Chronic infection with HBV or HCV. Chronic infection with the hepatitis B virus (HBV) or the hepatitis C virus (HCV) increases the risk of liver cancer.
- Cirrhosis. This progressive, irreversible disease causes scar tissue to form in your liver and increases the chance of developing liver cancer.
- Certain hereditary liver diseases. Liver diseases that can increase the risk of liver cancer include hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease.
- Diabetes. People with this blood sugar disorder are at higher risk of liver cancer than people without diabetes.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver. A build-up of fat in the liver increases the risk of liver cancer.
- Exposure to aflatoxins. Aflatoxins are toxins produced by molds that grow on poorly stored plants. Plants such as grains and nuts can be contaminated with aflatoxins found in foods made from these products.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol. Consuming more than a moderate amount of alcohol per day for many years can cause irreversible liver damage and increase the risk of liver cancer. Liver cancer Treatment in warangal
Reduce your risk of cirrhosis
Cirrhosis of the liver is scarring of the liver and increases the risk of liver cancer. You can reduce your risk of cirrhosis if you:
Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. If you want to drink alcohol, limit the amount you drink. For women, this means no more than one drink a day. For men, this means no more than two drinks a day. Liver cancer Treatment in warangal