Open popup dialog
A meningioma is a tumor that originates from the meninges – the membranes that surround your brain and spinal cord. While technically not a brain tumor, it falls into this category because it can compress or squeeze the brain, nerves, and adjacent vessels. Meningioma is the most common type of tumor that forms in the head.
Most meningiomas grow very slowly, often over many years, without causing symptoms. But sometimes their effects on brain tissue, nerves, or nearby vessels can lead to severe disability. Meningioma Treatment in Hyderabad
Meningiomas are more common in women and are often discovered at a later age, but can occur at any age.
The signs and symptoms of meningioma usually start gradually and can be very subtle at first. Depending on where in the brain or rarely on the spine where the tumor is located, signs and symptoms may include:
- Changes in vision, e.g. B. Double images or blurring
- Headaches, especially those that are worse in the morning
- Hearing loss or ringing in the ears
- Memory loss
- Loss of smell
- Weakness in arms or legs
- Difficulty speaking
It is not known what causes meningioma. Doctors know that something changes certain cells in your meninges, causing them to multiply uncontrollably, leading to a meningioma tumor.
Whether this is largely unknown due to your inherited genes, hormones (which may be related to the frequency more common in women), rare example of previous radiation exposure, or other factors. There is no clear evidence to support the claim that meningiomas are related to cell phone use. Meningioma Treatment in Hyderabad
Risk factors for meningiomas are:
- Radiation therapy. Radiation therapy with radiation to the head can increase the risk of meningioma.
- Female hormones. Meningiomas are more common in women, leading doctors to believe that female hormones may play a role. Some studies have also suggested a link between breast cancer and meningioma risk related to the role of hormones.
- A hereditary disease of the nervous system. Neurofibromatosis 2, a rare disease, increases the risk of meningiomas and other brain tumors.
- Obesity. A high body mass index (BMI) is an established risk factor for many cancers, and a higher prevalence of meningiomas has been observed in overweight people in several large studies. However, the relationship between obesity and meningiomas is unclear. Meningioma Treatment in Hyderabad