Periodontal disease Open the popup dialog
Periodontal disease (per-e-o-don-TIE-tis), also known as gum disease, is a serious infection of the gums that damages soft tissue and, if left untreated, can destroy the bone that supports your teeth. Periodontal disease can cause teeth to loosen or lead to tooth loss.
Periodontal disease is common but largely preventable. It’s usually the result of poor oral hygiene. Brushing at least twice a day, daily blood flow, and regular dental exams can greatly improve your chances of successfully treating periodontal disease, and also decrease your chances of developing it. Periodontitis Treatment in Hyderabad
Healthy gums are firm and pale pink and match teeth perfectly. Signs and symptoms of periodontal disease can include:
- Swollen or swollen gums
- Bright red, dark red, or purple gums
- Touching the gums gently
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pink tinted toothbrush after brushing
- Cough up blood while brushing or brushing your teeth
- Bad breath
- Slide between your teeth and gums
- Loose teeth or tooth loss
- Painful chewing
In most cases, periodontal disease begins to develop with plaque – a sticky film made up primarily of bacteria.
If plaque is left untreated, plaque can eventually develop into periodontal disease:
- Plaque builds up on your teeth when starches and sugars in foods interact with bacteria that are normally found in your mouth. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day removes plaque, but the plaque reforms quickly.
- Plaque can become hard under your gums (tartar) if it stays on your teeth. Tartar is harder to remove and filled with bacteria. The longer plaque and tartar stay on your teeth, the more damage they can cause. You can’t get rid of tartar by brushing and flossing – you will need a professional teeth cleaner to remove it.
- Plaque can cause gingivitis, the milder form of gum disease. Gingivitis is irritation and inflammation of the part of your gum tissue around the base of your teeth (gum tissue). Gingivitis can be reversed at home through professional treatment and good oral care. Periodontitis Treatment in Hyderabad
Factors that can increase your risk of periodontal disease include:
- Inflammation of the gums
- Bad oral health habits
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Hormonal changes such as those related to pregnancy or menopause
- Recreational drug use such as smoking marijuana or vaping
- Inadequate nutrition, including vitamin C deficiency
- Certain medicines that cause dry mouth or changes in the gums
The best way to prevent periodontal disease is to follow a good oral hygiene program that you start early and practice regularly throughout life.
Good oral hygiene. This means brushing your teeth for two minutes at least twice a day – in the morning and before bed – and flossing at least once a day. Using dental floss before brushing can remove loose food particles and bacteria. Good oral hygiene prevents an environment from developing around your teeth that is favorable to certain bacteria that are responsible for periodontal disease. Periodontitis Treatment in Hyderabad