- Comparison of normal spine curves with scoliosis
- Scoliosis Open the popup dialog
- Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine that most commonly occurs during the growth spurt just before puberty. While scoliosis can be caused by conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, the cause of most scoliosis is unknown. About 3% of teenagers have scoliosis.
Most cases of scoliosis are mild, but some spinal deformities continue to get worse as children get older. Severe scoliosis can be disabling. Scoliosis treatment in hyderabad
Signs and symptoms of scoliosis can include:
- Uneven shoulders
- One shoulder blade that seems more prominent than the other
- Uneven size
- One hip higher than the other
- Doctors don’t know what causes the most common type of scoliosis – although it appears they are hereditary factors, as the disorder usually runs in families. Less common types of scoliosis can be caused by:
- Neuromuscular diseases such as cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy
Birth defects that affect the development of the spinal bones
Injuries or infections of the spine Scoliosis treatment in hyderabad
Risk factors for developing the most common type of scoliosis include:
Age. Signs and symptoms usually begin during the growth spurt that occurs just before puberty.
Sex. Although boys and girls are about equally likely to develop mild scoliosis, girls are much more likely to have the curve worsening and need treatment.
Family history. Scoliosis can run in families, but most children with scoliosis do not have a family history of the disease.
While most people with scoliosis have a mild form of the disorder, sometimes scoliosis can lead to complications, including:
- Lung and heart injuries. In severe scoliosis, the chest can press against the lungs and heart, making it difficult for the heart to breathe and pump.
- Back problems. Adults who had scoliosis as a child are more likely to experience chronic back pain than people in the general population.
- Appearance. As scoliosis worsens, it can lead to more noticeable changes, including uneven hips and shoulders, protruding ribs, and shifting the waist and trunk to one side. People with scoliosis often become aware of how they look. Scoliosis treatment in hyderabad