Central sleep apnea is a disorder in which your breathing stops and starts again several times while you sleep.
Central sleep apnea occurs because your brain isn’t sending appropriate signals to the muscles that control your breathing. This condition is different from obstructive sleep apnea, in which you cannot breathe normally due to an obstruction in your upper airways. Central sleep apnea is less common than obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep apnea, central treatment in hyderabad
Common signs and symptoms of central sleep apnea are:
- Observed episodes of shortness of breath or difficulty breathing during sleep
- Abrupt awakening accompanied by shortness of breath
- Shortness of breath relieved by sitting
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
- Chest pain at night
- Difficulty concentrating
Central sleep apnea occurs when your brain doesn’t send signals to your breathing muscles.
Central sleep apnea can be caused by a number of conditions that affect the ability of your brainstem – which connects your brain to your spinal cord and controls many functions such as heart rate and breathing – to control your breathing.
There are certain factors that put you at increased risk for central sleep apnea:
Sex. Men are more likely to develop central sleep apnea than women.
Age. Central sleep apnea is more common in older adults, especially adults over 65 years of age, possibly because they have other conditions or sleep patterns that are more likely to cause central sleep apnea.
Heart disease. People with an irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation) or whose heart muscles do not pump enough blood for the body’s needs (heart failure) are at higher risk of central sleep apnea.
Stroke, brain tumor, or structural damage to the brain stem. These brain conditions can affect the brain’s ability to regulate breathing. Sleep apnea, central treatment in hyderabad
Central sleep apnea is a serious illness. Some complications are:
- Tired. The repeated awakenings associated with sleep apnea make normal, restful sleep impossible. People with central sleep apnea often experience severe fatigue, daytime sleepiness, and irritability.
- You may have trouble concentrating and falling asleep at work, watching TV, or even driving.
- Cardiovascular problems. In addition, sudden drops in blood oxygen levels that occur during central sleep apnea can affect heart health. Sleep apnea, central treatment in hyderabad