Thumb Arthritis Open the pop-up dialog box
Thumb arthritis often occurs with age and occurs when the cartilage wears away from the ends of the bones that make up the joint at the base of your thumb – also known as the carpometacarpal joint (CMC).
- Thumb arthritis can cause severe pain, swelling, and decreased strength and freedom of movement, making it difficult to perform simple tasks like turning doorknobs and opening glasses. Treatment usually involves a combination of medication and splints. Surgery may be required for severe arthritis of the thumb.Thumb arthritis Treatment Hyderabad
Pain is the first and most common symptom of thumb arthritis. Pain can occur at the base of your thumb when grasping, grasping, or pinching an object, or using your thumb to apply force.
Other signs and symptoms could include:
- Swelling, stiffness, and tenderness at the base of your thumb
- Reduced force when clamping or gripping objects
- Reduced freedom of movement
- Enlarged or bony appearance of the joint at the base of your thumb
Arthritis of the thumb usually occurs with age. Previous trauma or injury to the thumb joint can also cause thumb arthritis.
- In a normal thumb joint, cartilage covers the ends of the bones – acts as a cushion and allows the bones to slide smoothly against each other. With arthritis of the thumb, the cartilage covering the ends of the bones deteriorates and its smooth surface becomes rough. The bones then rub against each other, causing friction and joint damage.
- Damage to the joint can cause new bone to grow on the sides of the existing bone (bone spur), which can create visible lumps on your thumb joint.Thumb arthritis Treatment Hyderabad
Factors that can increase your risk of thumb arthritis include:
- Female gender.
- Age over 40.
- Certain hereditary diseases such as slackness of the ligaments and poorly shaped joints.
- Injuries to the thumb joint such as fractures and sprains.
- Diseases that alter the normal structure and function of cartilage, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Although osteoarthritis is the number one cause of arthritis of the thumb, rheumatoid arthritis can also affect the CMC joint, usually to a lesser extent than other joints in the hand.
- Activities and jobs that put a lot of strain on the thumb joint.Thumb arthritis Treatment Hyderabad