- Trichinosis (Trik-ih-NO-sis), sometimes called trichinellosis (Trik-ih-nuh-LOW-sis), is a type of roundworm infection. Roundworm parasites use a host body to live and reproduce. These parasites mainly infect carnivorous (carnivorous) animals such as bears and foxes or carnivorous and vegetable (omnivorous) animals such as domestic pigs and wild boars. The infection is acquired through eating roundworm larvae in raw or undercooked meat.
- When humans eat undercooked meat that contains Trichinella larvae, the larvae develop into adult worms in the small intestine for several weeks. The adult worms then produce larvae that move through various tissues, including muscles. Trichinosis is most common in rural areas around the world. Trichinosis Treatment in Nizamabad
Trichinosis can be treated with medication, although it is not always necessary. It’s also easy to prevent.
- Microscopic view of Trichinella cysts in muscle tissue
- Trichinella Cysts Open the popup dialog
- The signs and symptoms of trichinosis infection and their severity vary depending on the number of larvae eaten in the infected meat. Abdominal symptoms can appear one to two days after infection. Other symptoms usually begin two to eight weeks after infection.
- Maybe no signs or symptoms
- Mild cases of trichinosis – those with only a small number of parasites in your body – may not cause any noticeable signs or symptoms. Symptoms can develop with a moderate or severe infestation, which sometimes progresses as the parasite moves through your body.
- First signs and symptoms
- They swallow trichinae larvae that are trapped in a cyst. Your digestive juices dissolve the cyst and release the parasite into your body. The larvae then invade the wall of the small intestine, where they develop into adult worms and mate. At this point you can notice:
- stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
People get trichinosis when they eat undercooked meat such as pork, bear, walrus, or horse that is infected with the immature (larval) form of the trichinae roundworm. In the wild, animals become infected when they feed on other infected animals. Pigs and horses can become infected with trichinosis if they feed on garbage that contains infected meat residues. Cattle do not eat meat, but some cases of trichinosis in humans have been linked to the consumption of beef in association with infected or ground pork in a grinder previously used for contaminated pork.
With increasing regulation of food and pork products in the United States, pigs have become a less common source of infection. Wild animals, including bears, continue to be sources of infection. Trichinosis Treatment in Nizamabad
\Risk factors for trichinosis are:
- Bad food preparation. Trichinosis infects people when they eat undercooked infected meat, such as pork, bear, or walrus, or other meat that has been contaminated by choppers or other equipment.
- Rural areas. Trichinosis is more common in rural areas. In the United States, higher rates of infection are observed in areas where pigs are raised.
- Consumption of wild or non-commercial meat. Public health interventions have dramatically reduced the incidence of trichinosis in commercial meat, but non-commercial livestock – especially those with access to wildlife carcasses – have higher rates of infection. Wild animals like bears and walruses are still common sources of infection.
The best defense against trichinosis is good food preparation. Follow these tips to avoid trichinosis:
Avoid undercooked meat. Make sure to cook the meat pieces well until they are golden brown. Cook pork and wild animal meat to an internal temperature of 71 ° C. For whole cuts and ground poultry, cook to a temperature of at least 74 ° C. Do not cut or eat the meat for at least three minutes after removing it from the heat.
Use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is cooked through.
Freeze the pork. Freezing pork less than 6 inches thick for three weeks will kill the parasites. However, the Trichinella parasites found in the meat of wild animals are not killed by freezing, even over a long period of time. Trichinosis Treatment in Nizamabad