Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid does not make enough of certain essential hormones.
Hypothyroidism may not cause any visible symptoms in the early stages. Over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, including: B. Obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease. Underactive thyroid Treatment in Khammam
- Thyroid gland with larynx and trachea
- Thyroid Open the popup dialog
- The signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism vary depending on the severity of the hormonal deficit. Problems develop slowly, often over several years.
At first, you will hardly notice any symptoms of hypothyroidism such as fatigue and weight gain. Or you can simply attribute it to aging. However, as your metabolism continues to slow down, more obvious problems can arise.
Signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism can include:
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
When your thyroid doesn’t produce enough hormones, the balance of chemical reactions in your body can be disturbed. There can be a number of causes, including autoimmune diseases, treatments for hyperthyroidism, radiation therapy, thyroid surgery, and certain medications.
Your thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland that is at the base of your neck, just below the Adam’s apple. The hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) produced by the thyroid gland have a huge impact on your health and affect all aspects of your metabolism. These hormones also affect the control of vital functions such as body temperature and heart rate. Underactive thyroid Treatment in Khammam
Although anyone can develop hypothyroidism, you are at increased risk if you:
- Are a woman
- Are over 60 years old
- Have a family history of thyroid disease
- Have an autoimmune disease such as type 1 diabetes or celiac disease
- Have been treated with radioactive iodine or antithyroid drugs
- Received radiation in the neck or upper chest
- Thyroid surgery (partial thyroid removal)
Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a number of health problems:
- Goiter. If you keep getting your thyroid to release more hormones, the gland can get bigger – a condition known as a goiter. While this is generally not uncomfortable, a large goiter can spoil your appearance and affect swallowing or breathing. Underactive thyroid Treatment in Khammam
- Heart problems. Hypothyroidism can also be linked to an increased risk of heart disease and heart failure, mainly because people with heart disease can have high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol – the “bad” cholesterol. Hypothyroidism.
- Mental problems. Depression can appear at the beginning of hypothyroidism and worsen over time. Hypothyroidism can also lead to slower mental functioning.