If you have heart valve disease, one or more of the heart valves are not working properly.
Your heart has four valves that allow blood to flow in the right direction. In some cases, one or more valves do not open or close properly. This can disrupt the flow of blood from your heart to your body.
Treatment for your valvular heart disease will depend on the heart valve affected and the type and severity of the heart valve. Sometimes valve disease requires surgery to repair or replace the valve. Valvular heart disease Treatment in Hyderabad
Some people with valvular heart disease may not have symptoms for many years.
The signs and symptoms of a heart valve can include:
- Abnormal sound (heart murmur) when a doctor uses a stethoscope to listen to the heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the abdomen (more common in advanced tricuspid regurgitation)
- Shortness of breath, especially when you have been very active or when you are lying down
- Chambers and heart valves
- Heart chambers and valves Open popup dialog Normal heart and valve problems
- Normal heart and valve problems Open the popup dialog
- Your heart has four valves that allow blood to flow in the right direction. These valves include the mitral valve, tricuspid valve, pulmonary valve, and aortic valve. Each valve has flaps (leaflets or cusps) that open and close once with each heartbeat. Sometimes the valves don’t open or close properly, disrupting the flow of blood from your heart to your body. Valvular heart disease Treatment in Hyderabad
Several factors can increase your risk of heart valve disease, including:
- Older age
- A history of certain infections that may affect the heart
- History of some forms of heart disease or heart attack
Valvular heart disease can cause many complications, including:
- Heart failure
- Blood clots